Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 7: How to use your veggies in record time

As per the last post, I was away almost all of the past week at Falcon Ridge Folk Fest. Sharif and Joanna hung onto our share and I just picked it up tonight, 2 days before the next batch comes. Some good stuff, but I needed to use up as much as possible at once:


Potatoes, shallot, some purple spring onions, two different kinds of bell peppers, zucchini, and [not pictured] cucumbers plus two different kinds of peas.

I decided that some kind of roasted vegetable melange was probably the best way to go about it--despite the fact that I really shouldn't be using the oven in the dog days of summer. But I get to use the word melange!

So, first I put the potatoes and the candy-striped beet from last week in a big roasting pan with some olive oil...


...and roasted those at 425 for about 15 min. Then I chopped up the peppers, zucchini, shallot, & onions, and tossed with more olive oil, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes and some fresh rosemary:

Added those to the mix and roasted for another 20 minutes.

While that was cooking, I sauteed a can of chickpeas with some minced garlic and smoked paprika with more olive oil (there was sort of an obscene amount of olive oil involved in this dish):


And tossed that with the vegetables, finishing with a bunch of chopped basil from our garden and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Also added some feta cheese on the plate.


Wow, this was a win! Super easy too, just a bit of chopping--everything took about an hour. I also made a cucumber yogurt salad, adding the rest of those purple spring onions, some fresh mint and a splash of lime juice.


Unfortunately, rob did not get my message that food was made and came home from his open mic with a burger from Checkers. He missed out:


...but there's plenty for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment