Saturday, July 9, 2011

Raw Beet Salad

OK beets, you've failed me for the last time...

After the chewy beet chips, I had to redeem myself with this week's beet. It's the same candy-striped "Chioggia" variety. I thought I'd try something raw, and there are a fair amount of raw beet salad recipes online...including from Mark Bittman, who usually doesn't fail.

So I once again whipped out the mandoline and sliced the beet on the slightly thicker side (did peel it this time, which wasn't too hard--and the Chioggia beets really don't stain)...


Then cut the slices into julienne:


Then dressed with olive oil, cider vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup and some fresh mint. Oh, and added some thin slices of the red onion we got.


The beets were so sweet and crunchy...if you can find these gems, raw is recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment