Saturday, October 22, 2011

Massaged Kale Salad

Made this amazing salad again yesterday and the recipe was requested. Realized I drifted enough from the original recipe my sister sent me that I should just post my version. This still remains possibly my favorite dish I've made since the CSA started! It also keeps a few days in the fridge - this pic was taken of leftovers the next day and it's still nice and fresh. Super-healthy and really tasty. If you have never tried kale (especially raw), I guarantee you'll like this!


Massaged Kale Salad: Quantities don't have to be exact. I like the "handful" approach.

-1 large bunch kale (can augment with other greens such as Swiss chard, spinach and even lettuce. Kale should be the main thing though. This will make short work of a huge bunch, so don't worry about buying too much!)
-3/4 tsp kosher salt
-1 apple (I like a tart Granny Smith)
-2 Tbl. cider vinegar
-3 scallions, chopped
-2 handfuls dried cranberries
-2 handfuls chopped walnuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
-4 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
-Crumbled goat cheese

Wash the kale thoroughly, remove tough ribs. Stack leaves, roll up and slice. Put kale in a large bowl and add salt. Rub the salt into the kale for a couple minutes. Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.

Core & chop the apple (no need to peel unless the peel's waxy or icky). In a serving bowl, toss the apple with the vinegar (this will stop it from turning brown). Add the scallions, cranberries and walnuts.

Add the kale, drizzle with the olive oil and toss thoroughly. Then crumble in the goat cheese. Salad should sit for at least a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment