Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cruciferous Stir-Fry

First time eating (or cooking) kohlrabi:


A rather alien-looking root! I peeled, thin-sliced and julienned it. Raw, it was nicely crisp and juicy with a mild cabbage taste. I read that this is good raw in salads and I could imagine that. Sort of jicama-like too. But, I planned to cook this bugger.

Also julienned the baby turnips, chopped the broccoli and the baby bok choy. All cruciferous veggies!


Stir-fried these first, adding a bit of chicken broth to help them steam. Removed the veggies and then stir-fried ginger and garlic with some shrimp. Then added the veggies back, and my odd-but-tasty stir-fry sauce: a dab each of ketchup and orange marmalade, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, hot sauce, and chicken broth all whisked together. I think the ketchup and marmalade eliminate the need for cornstarch and it doesn't get too gloopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment