Monday, October 10, 2011

Braised Pork Chops with Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Swiss Chard

My mom posted a link to this recipe a few days ago, and pork chops happened to be on sale...


Oh, so much win! Interestingly, the post is called "Inspired by Columbus" and I made this on Columbus Day. Although the Columbus in the article was referring to the author's visit to the Ohio city.

I mostly followed the recipe, except instead of white wine I used Brothers Drake Mead, which rob had brought back from...Columbus OH! I actually had not realized that until just now. Huh! Also, I sauteed some chopped apple along with the onion for the pan sauce/braising liquid, which was a nice addition.

I'd thought about using roasted butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes, but that would have required more prep...and I already had the perfect amount of sweet potato mash in the freezer from a couple weeks ago. With that already done, this was actually a pretty easy/fast dinner. And super delicious.

Oh, I also made an interesting sandwich the other day to start using up our radishes (I've never been much of a radish person):


Roast beef, Havarti cheese and sliced radishes, grilled:

It was OK, not earth-shattering. Can sandwiches be earth-shattering? Could have used some type of oniony or garlicky flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Wonder if some good whole-grain mustard would have helped that sandwich? The pork chop recipe features my three favourite foods! Looks de-lish!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete