Friday, September 16, 2011

Roasted Tomato Sauce; Herb Roasted Chicken w/Root Veggies & Sauteed Chard

Finally, there's a chill in the air -- oven-usin' weather!

Time to tackle these tough tomatoes.

I thought maybe oven-roasting them would concentrate the flavor, and deal with the fact that they're not stellar tomatoes. So I made a roasted tomato sauce, to use at some future point.


Halved & seeded the tomatoes (they actually don't look bad here, but some of them were pretty hard) and put them on a baking sheet. Somehow we have 5 heads of garlic in the kitchen, 3 of which I think are from the CSA. So I peeled cloves from one head and threw them on here too. Olive oil, salt & pepper, and roasted at 350 for 1 hour:


Then I pureed this in a blender. Sauteed an onion and added the puree to that:


Success! I froze most of this.

So everyone else in the house is out of town or otherwise gone. It's a little ridiculous that I made this dinner just for myself, but I was really craving roast chicken, and we have a ton of potatoes (this recipe didn't even use all of them).


Cubed a mixture of red & white potatoes and celery root. Another head of peeled garlic cloves, lots of fresh thyme & rosemary, olive oil, salt & pepper. Then I seasoned some chicken thighs with more of the fresh herbs.


Root veggie mixture went on a baking pan, chicken thighs on top (drizzled with more oil), and a lemon slice on each. Roasted these at 375 for a little under an hour, then broiled for a few minutes to crisp the chicken skin.


Also sauteed the rainbow chard, including stems, with some garlic & lemon juice.


Excellent dinner! And plenty of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment