Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pasta and Pesto with Potatoes & Green Beans

I had to supplement the sad-looking basil with some from our garden, which is also sort of on its last leg. Included some of the parsley too, thinking that it would make the pesto stay green longer (didn't really happen). And also used roasted garlic and walnuts instead of raw garlic and pine nuts. I'm bringing this to a potluck, so I thought maybe the mellow garlic flavor would be appreciated!

This recipe is from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking," which is a great Italian food bible. The combination sounds a little odd, but her introduction says "When serving pesto over spaghetti or noodles, the full Genoese treatment calls for the addition of boiled new potatoes and green beans. When all the components are right, there is no single dish more delicious in the entire Italian pasta repertory."

I can't really boast that mine qualifies for that praise...I used frozen green beans from Trader Joe's, and besides the other bastardizations of the pesto recipe, I also used the *gasp* parmesan from a green can. Generally I'm a bit of a Parmesan snob...I like the real stuff...but we had the big can sitting around.

However this is still pretty decent, and made good use of 4 things from the CSA box!


No comments:

Post a Comment