Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lemon Ginger Slaw

Did you know that 85% of coleslaw in the U.S. goes uneaten?

Well, that's according to The Onion. But it's probably true. I think most of us ignore the mass-produced gloopy stuff that comes with restaurant meals and BBQ buffets. And I've never made it at home...but I have half a giant head of cabbage sitting in the crisper drawer, and it's too hot to make a soup or stew or stuffed cabbage leaves. So, I perused slaw recipes online...

...and then remembered the amazing ginger salad at one of my favorite restaurants, Mandalay in Silver Spring. It's a cabbage salad with a healthy portion of raw ginger. I knew there was no way I could recreate it, but I thought the raw ginger idea was good, and I had some. A non-creamy coleslaw sounded refreshing on this muggy day.

 
So, we've got the shredded cabbage, 2 grated carrots, a cucumber that needed to be used up, and a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, julienned. The dressing is the juice & zest of one lemon, olive oil, a bit of dijon mustard, salt & pepper, and a little bit of sugar. Oh, and a bit of mint & lemon basil from our garden, 'cause why not?

I had this with some fajita-ish beef + peppers & onions. Sort of an odd combination, but a good non-carby meal. Still a good amount of the slaw left and it seems like it won't keep too well...but I think we've already eaten more than 15%!

No comments:

Post a Comment