Saturday, August 20, 2011

Turkey-vegetable chili

There weren't many One Straw veggies in this - just a green pepper, the remnants of a tomato, and the last of last week's garlic. But I had lots of other stuff I needed to use up.


As best I remember, here's what's in this:
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Green Pepper
  • 2 chopped jalapenos
  • Garlic
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • Spices: cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika
  • some chipotle chilis in adobo
  • tomato paste
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • kernels from 2 ears fresh corn
  • A bit of lime juice & honey
  • Fresh cilantro
I've also put grated zucchini and/or carrot in this...basically, throw in whatever you've got!

And, these used absolutely nothing from the One Straw box...but what the hey.

Chocolate-Cherry Brownies!


I had some fresh cherries that needed using up, and a box of brownie mix. While I would never turn up my nose at made-from-scratch brownies, Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix is so amazing that I feel no need to make from scratch. And it's often on sale for $1.99 at the grocery store!

Some of the cherries I chopped and put in the batter, some I halved and put on top. Pitting, slicing and chopping cherries was rather messy, but...
Sometimes we must suffer.


No comments:

Post a Comment