Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stuffed peppers; ricotta crostini with cherry tomatoes

Hurricane Irene's arrivng tonight, and so far the power's on so we don't have to subsist on PB&J.

Tonight's dinner was kind of experimental; mostly inspired by having to use up various things: some Italian bread, ricotta, celery...and I needed to figure out what the heck to do with all these green peppers.

I've never made stuffed peppers before, and can't remember the last time I ate (if ever) the more standard ground-beef-rice-tomato-sauce stuffed peppers. But I created my own filling...


Sauteed onion, celery, garlic and the green pepper tops. Seasoned with smoked paprika & cayenne. Cooked some Trader Joe's harvest grain blend in chicken broth and mixed that in. Added some ricotta and feta. Stuffed the peppers--decided not to parboil them, as I didn't want them to get mushy. Put a little water in the baking dish instead. Baked for about 40 minutes at 375, then topped with parmesan and browned under the broiler:

 

They were good, though I still would have preferred red peppers...and I kind of felt like they needed some gooey cheese or a sauce. But, not bad.

Then I made these crostini: mixed ricotta with some chopped basil, spread that on some toasted Italian bread, and topped with broiled cherry tomatoes.


rob stocked up on chocolate ice cream, but I'm thinking I need to start tackling cantaloupe for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment