Friday, June 17, 2011

Gettin' freaky with some kale

What's a girl to do on a Friday night when her boyfriend's out of town? Massage some kale, of course.

My sister sent me a link to this recipe today. Massaged Kale Salad. Wha? It looked interesting, so I thought I'd try it:


Oh. My. Word. Thank you, Gwen. This was utterly delicious. I've never had a non-massaged kale salad so I don't know how much difference that part made (you finely chop raw kale, salt it, and massage the salt in for a couple minutes). But the flavor combination was spectacular: salty, sweet, sour, garlicky and a little bitter.

I made these substitutions in the recipe:
sunflower seeds --> toasted almonds
red onion --> chopped garlic scapes (gotta use 'em!)
currants --> dried cranberries
gorgonzola --> goat cheese

I only had about half a bunch of kale so I also reduced most of the ingredients (1/2 tsp salt was plenty). I wish this had made more. I wonder if it would be good with collards...perhaps worth a try. I would guess that even non-kale-likers would like this salad--and supposedly it keeps well in the fridge.

I had this for dinner with the baby turnips (roasted with olive oil, a touch of maple syrup, salt & pepper & garnished with fresh basil), and a chicken breast breaded with the remnants of a bag of chipotle-flavored Tostitos:


Enjoyed this with a Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. One of the best meals in recent memory!

2 comments:

  1. See I'm stunned...Never EVER would cook like this for myself...for other folks, yes. I need to take a lesson here! Looks and sounds spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I would be cooking for someone else...but I gotta use up all these veggies in the fridge! The CSA is really forcing me to eat better, which was one of the goals. And the above meal was pretty easy. Try the salad...I was snacking on it in front of the TV last night. It's that good!

    ReplyDelete