Sunday, June 26, 2011

Beet & Grapefruit Salad

As predicted, I haven't yet gotten through most of the veggies this week due to a gig marathon. I did make more of the massaged kale salad, which rob and I promptly demolished. It's seriously good, y'all. Get yourself some kale and try it! Yesterday inbetween gigs I baked our two little beets (wrapped in foil) in preparation for this salad:


Chilled them overnight and the skins slipped right off. As I suspected, the beets were pinkish or marbled - they didn't stain at all. The leaves of the red romaine lettuce we got were so pretty that I decided to do a composed salad: the sliced beets, grapefruit segments, toasted walnuts and goat cheese. The dressing was a bit of grapefruit juice (squeezed from the remnants of the fruit), olive oil, dijon mustard, a touch of pomegranate molasses & maple syrup, salt & pepper. Will have to make this dressing in quantity--it was good.

Had this with some of the cream of greens soup, frozen from week 1. Which apparently contains radish greens and not turnip greens--Joanna told me she and Sharif finally got around to eating theirs and they were definitely white radishes, not baby turnips. I'd thought they tasted turnip-y when roasted, but I think radishes & turnips are related. The issue of veggie identification is stemming from the fact that our pickups are on Thursday while I'm working, so "the boys" have been picking up and then going off to their Thursday open mic. When Joanna and I get home we've got to guess at some of the things in the box. Last week rob managed to snap a pic of the list they had at the pickup site...they'll have to keep doing this so we know what exactly we're getting!

In any case, it's all tasty...whatever it is.

Still gotta get to the half of the giant cabbage head, cauliflower, mustard greens & swiss chard.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? You have pomegranate molasses at the house? wowie!

    ReplyDelete