Sunday, July 1, 2012

Arugula-Spinach Pesto

I came home late Thursday night after a gig to this alarming refrigerator situation:


Phew! This is most of the full share, because Sharif & Joanna hadn't picked up their half yet. Then, they lost power in the epic storms, so it looks like our fridge will be hosting stuff for awhile! This week we got arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens (I think...they're huge), baby turnips, spinach, chard and lettuce.

I thought pesto would be a good way to deal with the arugula & spinach, and I didn't have many other ingredients on hand (didn't feel like leaving the house in 100 degree weather, plus we didn't even know what businesses in the area have power). I made arugula pesto last year and it was yummy.

So, in a blender I whirred the arugula & spinach leaves, some toasted walnuts, two garlic cloves, some olive oil, and a handful of herbs from our garden (basil & lemon verbena), plus salt & pepper and a splash of lime juice. Took awhile to all get pureed in the blender, but eventually I got some nice bright green goo:


(Nice thing about non-basil pesto is it stays green!)

I cooked some pasta and threw some broccoli florets in the water for the last minute. Then tossed it with about half of the pesto, some parmesan and some shredded mozzarella:


Nice side dish with some parmesan-crusted fish (frozen from Safeway, that ol' standby). Arugula pesto has a good peppery bite and it just tastes very "green."

No comments:

Post a Comment