Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 24 - The Last One!

Well, the last couple weeks have really slipped by. We were away most of last week so we let Sharif & Joanna have all the veggies. This week is the last CSA delivery!


We've got: baby bok choy, mixed baby greens, spinach, cabbage, poblano peppers, red chili peppers, baby turnips, cilantro, and--I think--dandelion greens:


rob didn't take notes at the pickup, so he wasn't sure. I'm surprised as I thought dandelion greens were a spring thing. Well, I guess some kind of salad is in order!


I'm stumped about what to do with all the hot peppers. We got poblanos two weeks ago and never used them. Every recipe I've seen calls for roasting, which I did when I made poblano-cheddar grits. But these are REALLY hard to peel after roasting so it's kind of a pain...maybe I'll just not worry about that part.

We got a close-of-season e-mail from One Straw Farms, where they confirmed that there had been a lot of weather challenges this year. With all the rain from Hurricane Irene and other storms, they couldn't re-plant in September, and their "hard squash" crops were unsuccessful. But they said they've been relatively lucky compared to other farmers in the mid-Atlantic and New England who lost pretty much everything from flooding.

At some point I'll probably do a wrap-up of my thoughts about the CSA and maybe my favorite dishes. I'll probably continue this as an intermittent food blog when I'm inspired to make exciting things, until the next CSA season starts in June. But now, off to figure out salad and hot pepper ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment