Saturday, November 21, 2015

Autumn Rainbow Quinoa Salad

The food blogosphere is littered with quinoa salad recipes...I'm almost embarrassed to post one. Almost. I would like to be eating more quinoa, but every time I think about buying it I wince at the price. I probably need to go to the bulk bins at the co-op more often. Anyhoo, I have this family gathering tomorrow and there are plenty of veggies from the Last Week to use, so I thought this would be a good thing to bring. 

We do have almost a full rainbow going on here: red (cranberries & red quinoa), orange/yellow (acorn squash), green (watercress & green onions) and purple (cabbage). And it's got sweet, sour, salty and bitter tastes going on. Some nuts and/or apples would be good in this too, and you can nix the cheese for a vegan salad.

- Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups salted water. When cooked, toss in a good handful of dried cranberries and let cool.
- Cut an acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice into wedges (don't bother peeling). Toss with some olive oil, salt & pepper and about a tablespoon of maple syrup. Roast on a baking sheet at 400 until soft. I broiled mine for a bit at the end. Cool slightly and cut the wedges into smaller pieces (or you could leave them whole and top each serving with a couple of wedges).
- Combine quinoa, squash, 2 chopped green onions, some thinly sliced purple cabbage, a handful of chopped watercress or spinach, and some cubed or crumbled feta cheese.
- Dressing: whisk a dab of dijon mustard, a dab of pomegranate molasses, juice of 1 lime, some pepper and around 1/3 cup olive oil. Pour over the salad and mix well.

Tastes pretty good now and I'm hoping it'll improve in the fridge overnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment