Thursday, August 13, 2015

Summer Vegetable Chowder

This was supposed to be corn chowder because I'd been gifted a whole bunch of corn...but all but 2 of the ears were shriveled. Meh. Luckily I had plenty of other veggies on hand to fill it out (all CSA), including some cabbage and a lone pattypan squash that were almost ready to be tossed...almost.

Like any soup this is totally adaptable for what's on hand. Can easily be made vegetarian or vegan, or gluten free if you cut out the flour step (I really don't think that did much thickening anyway). 

- In a large pot, heat some oil or bacon fat and saute some chopped garlic (and onion if you have it; I didn't).
- Add a tablespoon of flour and cook briefly. Pour in a box of chicken or veggie broth (or you could use water) and mix/whisk well. 
- Add cubed potatoes, chopped cabbage and any other long-cooking veggies. If you're using fresh corn, add a couple of the corn cobs after you cut the kernels off. Cover & cook for 15 minutes or so, until potatoes are almost tender. Remove the corn cobs.
- Add quick-cooking vegetables. I used corn, chopped tomatillos, pattypan squash, green pepper and jalapeno pepper. Add more water if necessary & cook until tender.
- Add spices - I used chili powder - and taste for salt. Oh, I also added some turmeric as the color was looking a little blah.
- Optionally, puree some of the soup (if you do this, I don't think you need to bother with the flour step). I added a splash of half & half.
- Before serving, add fresh chopped tomato and chives or other herbs. Basil or cilantro would be great. Hot sauce? Probably. Garnish with bacon? Yes please.


No comments:

Post a Comment