Friday, October 19, 2012

Fall Vegetable Curry, Apple Streusel Cake

This curry used up one of the giant sweet potatoes we got yesterday, plus a bunch of kale and the rest of the cubed butternut squash I had in the freezer:


Started by sauteeing onion, garlic and ginger. Added in the squash & sweet potatoes. I have no idea what quantity of spices went in, but I believe I used cumin, coriander, cardamom, two kinds of curry powder, Penzey's tandoori spice, and black pepper. Perhaps overkill...but I thought it could have been even spicier!

Then I added chicken broth to barely cover (you could use vegetable broth or water to keep this vegan), plus about a tablespoon of tomato paste. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Then I stemmed & chopped a bunch of kale and added that. After it cooked down a bit I added a can of chickpeas, and a can of coconut milk. I really need to use that more often...it's so good! To finish, plenty of hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon. Fresh cilantro would be nice in this but I didn't have any. Served over brown basmati rice.

For dessert: apple streusel cake! After perusing tons of apple cake recipes and almost making this one from the Washington Post, I decided to go with this one from Joy of Baking - looked pretty simple. I added in a chopped apple to the cake batter, but otherwise followed the recipe. The cake layer didn't rise very much and it was a small amount of batter. Also I thought the streusel needed more butter. But...not bad!


Had this with some Häagen-Dazs Creme Brulee ice cream (also not too shabby, but Ben & Jerry's wins on that flavor).

No comments:

Post a Comment