- 1 large cucumber, quartered lengthwise & chopped into bite-sized pieces (peel if waxy, scoop seeds if you want. With the long wrapped English cucumbers, usually not necessary)
- 1 container grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced - or 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 lemon
- small dab of dijon or stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup, honey or agave
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (ish) olive oil
Optional but recommended toppings:
- crumbled feta cheese
- olives, if you're into them (I'm not)
Combine the salad ingredients in a large storage container. For the dressing, microplane the lemon zest into a bowl and then squeeze the juice (I do this over a strainer to catch the seeds). Add the mustard, sweetener & spices and whisk. Then whisk in the olive oil slowly. I eyeball the amount and then taste and see what it needs.
Add the dressing, toss well and chill for a little while if possible. Mix in toppings just before serving.