Friday, March 2, 2012

Chicken Soup

I picked up a cold a few days ago, on the last leg of tour. It wasn't too terrible, and then I thought I was getting better. Last night, I suddenly developed Lauren Bacall Voice, and have been on the edge of losing it with a nasty cough. So, time for some chicken soup!


I made my own stock (below), and rather than make an enormous pot of soup that would probably get mushy and bleah in a couple of days, I put aside most of the stock and boiled some thinly sliced carrot & celery in the remainder. I'd been thinking about tortellini, but Safeway had these fancy chicken & prosciutto stuffed pasta things, so I threw in a handful of those, with some of the cooked chicken and a pinch of dried dill. Salt to taste, a dash of lemon juice & hot sauce to clear the sinuses. This was good stuff...and now I've got a bunch of leftover shredded chicken and homemade stock.

For the stock, I threw a bunch of stuff into a big pot:


Three chicken leg quarters, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, an onion (quartered but not peeled), some garlic cloves (smashed, not peeled), a bay leaf or two and some peppercorns. Boiled this for about an hour, then removed the chicken and let it cool in the fridge for a bit before skinning & shredding. Added the bones back to the stock and simmered a little while longer, then strained.

It's a bit labor intensive, but...not doing anything else today!

No comments:

Post a Comment