Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Spicy Coconut Peanut Stuff

I recently discovered Budget Bytes - she's been around for awhile, but I started looking through more of her recipes and thought "hmm, this lady cooks a lot like me!" Lots of room for improv, largely vegetarian and an eye on budget. Going to look at her site more when I need inspiration.

This recipe caught my eye, and I already had most of the ingredients around. It's a Spicy Coconut Vegetable Stir Fry, and she encourages you to use whatever vegetables you want and add protein if you want. The sauce is delicious! I've been upping my stir fry game recently, but I often wish there was more sauce. That's solved with a can of coconut milk! 

For veggies I used broccoli, tri-colored bell peppers and onion, and I added [of course] tofu. Use whatever you want! This would also be good with a can of chickpeas - though you can nix the protein if you have a good assortment of vegetables.

Her recipe has fresh garlic and ginger added to the sauce, but I stir-fried mine in to the vegetables at the end of cooking. 

For the sauce:

In a large microwave safe bowl, combine:
- 1 can coconut milk (I always use full fat)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbl sriracha, or to taste
- 1-2 Tbl soy sauce
- 2 Tbl lime juice (1 lime)
- 1/2 Tbl brown sugar

I also added a little fish sauce, and some Penzey's Bangkok Blend.

Microwave for 1 minute, and then it should be easy to whisk everything together. Taste and add more of whatever to suit your taste.

Stir fry your protein and vegetables however you like, then add the sauce and heat through for a couple minutes.

If you like, garnish with cilantro and/or chopped peanuts, and serve over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment