Saturday, August 18, 2018

Tofu & Veggie Stir-Fry

I'm generally not that enamored with the stir-fry / Asian dishes that I make. They're edible, but not memorable. So I didn't even take a photograph of this one I made tonight, figuring it wouldn't be blog-worthy...but it was really good! I need to remember this one.

Yes, I'm on a tofu kick. This marinade/sauce has similar ingredients to the peanut noodle sauce, but is thinner and just uses a bit of peanut butter as a binder. I was also trying to use up a bag of broccoli slaw that was on its way out, and that worked well here. Though I would have liked a bit more sauce, it was still pretty flavorful. Increase the sauce ingredients if you want more.

Marinade/Sauce:
- ~1-inch knob of ginger, minced (save half for stir fry)
- 1 Tbl peanut butter
- 3 Tbl soy sauce
- 1 Tbl rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbl maple syrup or honey
- a few shakes sesame oil
- a few shakes garlic powder
 - sriracha, to taste

Stir Fry:
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- vegetables: 1 zucchini, 1/2 a red pepper, 1 onion, all cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bag broccoli slaw

Cut the tofu block in half lengthwise and press between paper towels/plates for at least 15 minutes.

Mix the sauce ingredients, saving half the ginger for the stir fry. Add maybe 1/4 cup water, to thin it out.

Cut the tofu into cubes, toss with half the sauce, and let marinate while you chop the vegetables.

Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium-high. Saute the tofu cubes in a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil until nicely browned on all sides. This takes a little while - about 15 minutes...but you want to get good color.

Remove the tofu from the pan, and add the zucchini, red pepper & onion. Stir fry until just starting to soften. Season with a bit of salt. Add the garlic & ginger, stir, and then add the broccoli slaw. Cook just a couple minutes more, add the tofu back in, then add the rest of the sauce and turn off the heat. I added a bit more soy sauce.

Serve over rice. I forgot to sprinkle black sesame seeds over it, but I'll remember next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment