Saturday, June 23, 2012

Kohlrabi-Apple Slaw, Pasta with Spinach & Peppers

And the onslaught begins! Finally back from tour and picked up this week's veggies on Thursday - which also included some stuff from last week that lasted OK. In total, I think we got: yellow squash, broccoli, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, swiss chard, dinosaur kale, half a head of cabbage, purple kohlrabi, spinach and arugula. Four big bags squashed in the fridge.

I don't think I'm going to take photos of each week's take, as I did plenty of that last year. Maybe just the unusual stuff - like purple kohlrabi!


I made a slaw out of this - wasn't too crazy about the kohlrabi stir fry from last year. I peeled & sliced this on a mandoline, then cut the slices into julienne. Did the same with a Granny Smith apple & the stem from the broccoli, and shredded the cabbage. Dressing is mayo, a tiny bit of sour cream, apple cider vinegar, a dab of dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt & pepper. Also threw in some chopped mint leaves from the mint forest that is our garden. This was finally a slaw that I liked!


Next I decided to tackle the spinach. We had two huge bunches of fairly young spinach. It cooked way down when I sauteed it with some bell peppers, garlic, smoked paprika and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Tossed this with some pasta and shredded mozzarella-provolone:


Gotta get back into the swing of things in terms of planning & cooking. It's going to be a busy summer, so...we'll see how this goes. But it's good to eat well again!

No comments:

Post a Comment